Updated March 25, 2020
National, state and local health and safety protocols continue to evolve rapidly. Since late last week, the urgency of all recommendations, including ours, is escalating.
Based on the information we have to date, Girl Scouts GCNWI offices will now remain closed until April 6. Staff are still working remotely while our physical offices are closed.
All in-person GCNWI programs, activities, and outdoor programs are now cancelled or postponed until May 1 (originally March 29).
- This includes rentals at any GCNWI property.
- If you have a program or camp reservation between now and May 1, you will be contacted by a staff member to work with you to reschedule your program or troop camping reservation.
We are beginning to roll out virtual programming!
Watch The Buzz, our Facebook page, and our blog for emerging program opportunities.
Please contact us at email@example.com or 855-456-8347, ext. 6313, with questions or concerns.
Our response time may be delayed as the volume increases. Keep checking our website, social media pages and blog as new information leads to additional announcements.
We thank you for your patience during this time.
Previously Announced Cookie Program Updates
- We have paused the cookie program during this unprecedented time. Our primary focus is joining local and state “stay in place” efforts to minimize the impact and spread of COVID-19.
- For the time being, cookie booths are not permitted for the health and safety of our girls, families, volunteers, and the public.
- Booths are no longer appearing in the Cookie Finder App.
- All cookie cupboards are closed until further notice.
- All scheduled loop booth sites are canceled.
- The ACH Sweep has been postponed to April 10. If more time is needed, you may file an adjustment form before April 8.
If you have specific questions about the cookie program, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previously Announced Affected Events
- The in-person Annual Meeting and Adult Recognition event planned for April 4 will not take place. The Annual Meeting will now be a virtual meeting, and all voting will be done electronically, as allowed by our council bylaws. All voting members of the council have been notified.
- Our Adult Recognition celebration will be postponed. Discussions about how to honor our council award recipients are underway. We will share details when they are available.
- Tribute to Achievement has been canceled (was scheduled for March 25, 2020).
- The Gold Award Ceremony has been postponed to August 8, 2020.
- Green for Good has been postponed one year until May 8, 2021.
We are suspending our established refund policy until further notice. If you are registered for an event or program set to occur between now and May 1, 2020, you will receive an email with specific details about any cancellation or postponement. Refunds or credits will be given.
Volunteers or families with girls scheduled to attend any GCNWI-sponsored event, program, workshop, or activity beyond the next few weeks may cancel their participation to receive a credit to apply toward a future activity. If no other future events are desired, or there are extenuating circumstances, a full refund will be issued. To cancel a program or camp registration, please email email@example.com.
Service Unit and Troop Activities
All in-person activities, including troop meetings and cookie booth sites, are canceled until further notice. Read our guide to Virtual Troop Meetings!
To honor the merchandise needs of our volunteers and girls, we will offer FREE SHIPPING on all previously placed in-store pickup orders and new orders from our online shop through March 29.
Please remember that the best protection is self-protection and self-monitoring, especially in this flu season. Health officials recommend the following measures to minimize your risk of contracting any virus:
- Wash hands frequently especially after sneezing, shaking hands/bodily contact with another individual, and before eating. Use soap and water for 20 seconds or using alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick – health officials call this “social distancing” and recommend staying about three feet away from someone who is sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, like your phone or computer.
- Cover the nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing then throw the tissue in the trash, or as a last resort cough into the elbow
- Stay home when you are not feeling well.
- Get plenty of sleep, good nutrition, stress-relief, and exercise – a healthy body is the best defense against illness.
Additional COVID-19 Resources
For additional information and resources about the COVID-19, we recommend the following:
- CDC Website – The CDC is publishing its latest updates, health tips, and country-specific travel information.
- Coronavirus Q&A – The World Health Organization has published a helpful Q&A addressing many of the common questions about this virus.
- Illinois Department of Public Health
- Indiana Department of Health
Help Her Be Happy and Healthy
Raising Awesome Girls Blog
Girl Scouts has created a way to talk to girls, not by avoiding the topic, but by tackling it head-on.