It’s the New Year’s resolution to end all New Year’s resolutions, and it’s so, so Girl Scouts! This year, do things a little differently, and resolve to give back to yourself by giving back to others. That’s right. We’re calling for a resolution of service! Because when you help others, you just can’t begin to imagine how much good it actually does for your own soul. It’s really the best kind of win-win.
And it doesn’t have to be anything big. In fact, it’s really the accumulation of all the small ways we can be of service to others every day that can make our lives significantly brighter and more meaningful, while helping us feel more connected within our communities. In 2018, what do you say we all resolve to make the world a better place, together, by committing to practice these powerful and simple acts of service to others as often as possible?
- Be kind, particularly to those who are not exactly your cup of tea, so to speak. It might be hard, but it will be meaningful.
- Be gentle with the environment. Avoid littering, recycle, and regularly sign up for community cleanups. The more we do to keep the outdoors in good shape, the more we can all enjoy it!
- Show compassion. Sometimes that’s the greatest gift we can offer someone.
- Practice good manners. “Please” and “thank you” go a long way in making others feel appreciated and respected.
- Be helpful as much and as often as possible. Help create a sense of community wherever you go.
- Listen more. Sometimes all people truly want is to be heard, and to know they matter.
- Volunteer once a month—or more if you can. Learn about volunteering with us—it’s important work and so much fun!
To read the full blog post, visit girlscouts.org.